Whitewater Tx Case Studies
These are just some of the cases where WhiteWaterTx has worked along with management to transform the organization
Culture Review and Training Design – High-profile Financial Regulator
The Client is an independent non-governmental statutory regulatory body with more than 800 employees. During the process of implementing various improvement initiatives over the preceding few years, it identified the need for greater cross-division collaboration to improve service quality and enhance employee engagement. The Client sought our services to review the transformation of the organisation from its existing culture to a very different model: a way of working and new culture.
- Rebuild Corporate Culture - Reviewed the current corporate culture in relation to the people behaviour, internal communication, employee engagement and perception to change
- Realign senior executives - Assisted the development of the desired corporate culture and its alignment and consensus-building at the senior management level. Designed new management behaviours to encourage desired culture and behaviour among all employees
- Drive Buy-in - Facilitate commitments to behaviour change at the corporate, departmental and individual levels
- Drove consensus about the current culture and articulated the existing behaviour to be changed as well as the transformative behaviours to be achieved
- Co-created clear vision, mission, and values for the Client for cascading and communication
- Designed and delivered culture cascading workshops to supervisor level and advised on other support mechanisms to roll out the new culture and reinforce the new behaviors
Implementation of Strategic Initiatives - Global Logistics Organisation
The client was in the process of undergoing significant change across all areas of the organisation in preparation for listing. To ensure they reached this end goal smoothly, the client had developed 23 strategic initiatives and required buy-in and active support from a 165,000 person, a highly unionized workforce. The desired impact was a new operating and business model. The leadership team required a workforce engagement solution that not only gave them the tools required to engage the workforce and to gain transparency into 1,400 quasi-autonomous units to be able to model the workforce efficiency to a granular level.
- Identified Single Point of Truth (SPoT) - Met with stakeholders to understand key drivers for strategy and their workforce and skills implications. Collected and cleansed data from multiple sources received from HR and Finance to form a single point of truth for the organisation
- Developed Pathway to SPoT - Analysed upcoming changes to the business model including an increased focus on packages, “World-class logistics” including significant mechanization and automation
- Strategic Workforce Planning - Built-up granular assumptions for the workforce parameters including 24 different attrition points for each of the 1,400 units. A developed robust process for deriving the workforce demand for each unit for up to 5 years, with the ability to filter using various lenses
- Workforce Engagement - Held workshops with workforce engagement teams and heads of resourcing to cascade strategic engagement at all levels based on feedback and analysis using a bottom-up approach
- Program Management - Put in place implementation plans for delivering and monitoring solutions identified
- The client achieved engagement from staff and unions to the 23 strategic initiatives
- Delivered the tools to manage the strategic restructuring and new ways of working prior to listing.
Integration and Organisational Transformation - Food Services
A globally recognised Blue-Chip FMCG had acquired a large privately-owned company. During the integration process, it became clear that it was necessary to fully re-structure the company in order to extract the value locked within.
- Transformation - Our team employed a variety of processes in order to successfully manage the client’s transition process, including our P+ transformation process to up-skill and up-tool the combined management of the merged entity
- Systems Re-Structuring - Many existing internal systems needed to be developed up to the group’s global standards; others had to be re-built completely
- Right-sizing - Extensive headcount reductions demanded the use of sophisticated analysis and modelling techniques, to ensure that through a fair and impartial process, ie remove favoritism and cronyism
- Plant & Facilities - There was a wide range in the quality issues within the plants and facilities. Our team worked alongside the technical refurbishment team, ensuring that the old in-efficiencies and processing problems were addressed.
- Successful management of the transition period
- Reduction in headcount while developing productivity and transparency to the parent’s international standards
Strategic and Transformation Support – Global Consumer Products
A leader in the luxury fast-moving consumer goods employing 35,000 staff, had commenced a process to change its business model from its historic services and facilities model. The proposed strategy involved substantial investment over a 3-year period to become a customer-focused/marketing-led organisation. To achieve this transformation, the management needed to fully re-engineer the organisation design, culture and standard operating procedures. Consequently, we were engaged to design a holistic plan and to ensure operational control was maintained through the 14 different strategic initiatives (each with their own project team) to fully implement the 3-year strategic transformation plan.
- Single Point of Truth - Identification, categorisation and definition of the main strategic programs and their projects (SPoTs), including the program and project owners and the resources (internal and external) required for support
- Implementation Planning - Specify the organisational changes including all the new projects including the strategic program. All programs and projects work streams consolidated in one MasterPlan to provide clarity & map all action plans including interdependencies
- Transparency and Control - All programs and projects quarterly milestones linked to key event dates to bring discipline and transparency in the 3-year period of this strategic plan and all quarterly milestones detailed to high level monthly and weekly actions and linked to MasterPlan & key events. Regular monitoring of activities & performance for owners and support teams and identification of issues and transparent monitoring for project management and stakeholders
- Achievement of the goals of each strategic team by analysing and providing feedback to drive the delivery of the 3-year strategic plan and related organisational changes
- Delivered clear accountability, discipline and transparency at all levels and at all phases through the organisational transparency
Manufacturing ^ Supply Chain
Relocation and Transformation – Heavy Industry
The energy division of a large European conglomerate acquired a local listed owned industrial boiler manufacturer. After a successful integration led by our teams, the headquarters of the European conglomerate decided to upgrade the manufacturing facilities of their new acquisition in order to build more, cheaper and better boilers with the intention to target international markets. The client engaged the team to oversee the relocation of the factory and its 2,000 employees.
- Strategy & Implementation Planning - Design and implement a highly specialized and flexible plan to facilitate effective project management of the relocation of all equipment and the transfer/hiring of all employees throughout the multiple stages of close-down and commissioning
- Strategic Workforce Planning - Oversee the rebuilding of the operating procedures related to new equipment, new ways of working and the assessment and placement of all required staff during the relocation and the subsequent ramp-up to 3,500 workforce
- Transparency and Control - Full flexibility and the ability to adapt to changes through the use of the P+ Process
- Stakeholder Management - Excellent community relations maintained by sourcing and recruiting local talent, working with local authorities and unions
- Full transparency and control during the intensive 100 days project
- The P+ process (MasterPlan and action plans) addressed required for the relocation and ramp-up
- The client was able to then use all P+ Tools on an ongoing basis.
Manufacturing / Supply Chain
Strategic Restructuring and Streamlining Operations – Consumer Products
A globally renowned beer and wine group had acquired a local brewing and distribution facility employing 750 staff. Having deteriorated over time, the local group needed to be aggressively streamlined to global standards of best practice. The client engaged our services to map the steps required to affect the required turnaround and transformation by identifying all key challenges and then to oversee the implementation.
- Re-Structuring Business Model – We identified that in order to reach global standards of best practice, many key existing internal management functions would require significant redefinition whilst others would need to be totally rebuilt. These included the Sales, Marketing, Procurement, all Administration (HR, IT, Finance) and Supply;
- In-Depth Culture Change - Our people identified the need for behavioural change at all levels. This included undertaking a full-scale management capability and cultural audit;
- Brand Rebuild – It was deemed necessary to rebuild the previously strong local brand in order to strengthen the workforce’s sense of corporate identity and revitalise their engagement in the company’s culture;
- Internal & External Relationships - This required re-negotiation, externally with government authorities and unions. Internally, “new blood” was resourced. We were responsible to ensure full integration of the ‘new blood’;
- Scope of Project Management - Our program management included the upskilling and empowerment of local managers and board members, new compensation, and incentive (C&I) scheme.
- The company was revitalized and restructured with minimal disruption so as to achieve immediate profitability
- Restructuring costs were minimized by negotiating extensive retraining agreements with the local government and utilizing transformative methodologies.
Business Model Reengineering - Financial Services
The client was intent on transforming this global banking division to become a truly customer-centric organization. The objective was to build stronger customer relationship and bolster faster product innovation resulting in higher ROI. We were engaged to design and launch a group-wide business model transformation program with comprehensive training to realign customer-centricity in the service quality, skills and mindsets of its frontline staff to deliver best-in-the-class services.
- Single Point of Truth – Helped the executive to articulate the service strategy framework, identifying the targeted customer segments and revisiting the corresponding value proposition of the group
- Developing Workstreams to Achieve the SPoT - Assessing the existing gaps in delivering world-class services to its targeted customer segments, developing an overarching service quality strategy to bridge these gaps, establishing comprehensive service quality development roadmap and implementation plan
- Built a sustainable service excellence culture - Communicating the plan and gaining buy-in from all management and employees. Providing tailored training to related employees on service skills, knowledge and mindset in order to deliver the service quality promise
- Company-wide engagement and behavioural change required to deliver the new business model
- Ongoing commitment to service audit tools of targeted customer segments
- Fully executed strategic service quality plan through training workshop delivery
- Reengineered key cross-functional service process delivering quick wins
Strategic Restructuring & Productivity Improvement - Corporate Finance & Equities
The global business unit of a CAC40 company was performing well in a buoyant market. However, the management at head office felt performance could be significantly improved. It was identified that country C-suites felt that head office was setting targets that were unrealistic. In addition, bonuses had not been paid, thereby undermining trust in the in-country teams. The mission was to re-establish credibility and secure the buy in of the country senior executive teams.
- Research and establishment of Single Point of Truth - In-depth understanding of cross cultural issues was leveraged in this project as a great deal of cross cultural mediation was required to identify and resolve the trust and communication issues. The team spent the time at the initial phase working with the global managers to ensure the proposed targets were realistic.
- In-country Buy-in - Secured written commitments from global management to provide the investment and support necessary to achieve the goals as well as guaranteeing the associated bonuses.
- Implemented Day of Change - Convened a series of behavioral change workshop situations involving the country managers in several global locations to discuss the new strategies and articulate their conditions for going forward. By analysing the strategies in this way, the managers gained a sense of ownership and confidence that they could deliver.
- Active buy in by the country managers to the aggressive targets
- Commitment in major offices in London, Paris, HK and New York to deliver stretch targets which were reached achieved by head office agreeing to allow an increase local capacity and capability
Technology, Media & Communication
Harmonious Rightsizing & Strategic Restructuring (PE-funded High Tech)
A PE-funded company specialized in implementing IT systems in banks and telecommunications groups had just undergone a restructuring program. The team was engaged to increase efficiency and move the company into profitability. The situation was complex due to several failed restructures and the resulting resistance.
- Single Point of Truth – Engaged with senior management to co-create stretch goals that were realistic and attainable. It was identified at this stage that the company required a full-scale management efficiency and capability audit
- Re-Structuring Systems - Our team worked to upgrade project management skills and productivity, as well as changing fixed and variable cost ratios. Staff had to be re-educated to remove a culture of blame. Corruption was also rife and had to be addressed. Many existing internal systems needed to be elevated to modern standards, others had to be re-built completely.
- Harmonious Rightsizing – Guidance to assess staff capabilities vs future requirements. Oversee the rightsizing process and rebuild the company afterward. This included empowerment of local managers, new compensation & incentive (C&I) systems and rebuilding management and workforce capabilities and procedures
- Behaviour Change – After the rightsizing, to ensure that the changes were fully embraced, the team took all staff through a behavioural change program which resulted in more focused, committed and transparent behaviours
- A company that was more unified, focused and transparent
- Break even results showing in the following quarter (after recovering all the costs of the restructure ) and returning to profitability thereafter
Technology, Media & Communication
Business Model Transformation and Organisation Redesign - Media
A leading global media group required significant redesign in one of their operating units, this involved 14,000 people in 12 countries. They needed to redesign its business model and restructure the company to operate in an increasingly competitive declining market. The organisation had grown complacent in its prior success but new technology and new competitors had eroded its revenue base and its 3 attempts to restructure itself had failed.
- Single Point of Truth – We facilitated the executive to commit to a co-created future using our Merlin techniques to develop the SPoT. This involved identification of the strategic programs including milestones and outcomes, project governance and resourcing requirements
- Implementing the P+ Process - Our team, in collaboration with the senior management team, developed the MasterPlan which consolidated all programs & project workstreams to provide clarity and map the interdependencies. Whitewater linked all program & project quarterly milestones linking strategies to weekly activities (ActionPlans) to bring discipline, accountability, and transparency in the 3-year period of this strategic plan
- Trained Internal Program Management - The project upskilled and up-tooled the internal program team to be capable of delivering the 3-year strategic plan and related organizational changes.
- Successful launch of a major reinvention of the business model under WhitewaterTx guidance and embedding the change processes and disciplines to drive the on-going continual reinvention program reviewed every quarter
- Fit-for-service redesigned marketing and sales functions to provide reliable insights based on detailed customer segmentation and analytics
- A reengineered organisation, culture, and processes
Organizational Transformation an international NGO
An International NGO operating nurturing programs in government-run child welfare centers. Since its establishment in the organization has been program-driven, with activity delivered by full-time caregivers, overseen by program leadership staff.
Upon entering into a unique agreement with the government to change its business model from a non-government care provider to become a trainer for the government who agreed to take on the caregiving responsibility in order to accelerate the program. This model change required a major ramp-up of the key trainers and quality control systems while transferring and downsizing 1,200 people
- Single Point of Truth – A designed model for the organization to change from Programme-oriented to Training focus in 5 years, Facilitated the development of a transformational plan with defined milestones, workstreams and timeline
- Redesign the organisation - Facilitated the future organization design to be ‘fit-for-purpose’ including workforce modelling. Helped client to identify key competency/positions/rare skills which are critical to the new business model. Collected, analysed and interpreted client data into plan parameters
- Implementation - Defined the key profiles needed for the transformation workforce requirements. Built and supervised the MasterPlan and monthly ActionPlans Trained and passed over the MasterPlan maintenance and operations to guide the client’s future operational needs
- Mapped out a clear picture of transformation with individual path set for the journey
- Established a process for client to supervise the transformation process independently
Rapid Buildup and Growth
How to deliver above-average growth in a highly competitive pharmaceutical market segment (central nervous system), versus much larger players for a European specialty pharmaceutical company
- With limited resources the focus was on building up the flagship portfolio by de-emphasizing sales of older, less profitable brands, significantly increasing direct marketing expenditures, including investing in large-scale regional stand-alone meetings and building up a country-specific opinion leaders network.
- To further boost profitability and productivity, selective price increases and portfolio pruning measures were implemented. High-performance country teams were built up in record time. Changing and strengthening distributor relationships was also a pivotal part of the build-up strategy
- Market leadership achieved in 6 markets (market share between 22-28%) competing against much bigger competitors. Turnover doubled in three years and the bottom line also substantially improved. Strong foundation laid for consistent double-digit annual growth.
Turnaround and Transformation
In a volatile & challenging market with security and IP concerns, how to quickly turn around a pharmaceutical business of a European company not delivering results according to plan and short-term prospects also not encouraging
- A multi-faceted restructuring plan was devised, involving downsizing the sales force by 29%, focusing marketing/sales resources on the leading brand, pruning slow-moving/negative profitability items, outsourcing warehousing, substantially reducing administrative staff and relocating offices resulting in 65% rental savings. Measures implemented in three months
- Operating margin improvement in one year of 5 structure points (26% year-on-year increase). Declining trend reversed and a shutdown of the business entity was averted.